Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 suggestions for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have numerous clinical advancements and new techniques emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers millions of people the opportunity to lower or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the quick and painless way to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to help make sure that you will more than happy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an educated patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a medical professional by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be tricked by expensive advertisements about a specific laser. Pick the physician, not the laser center. Discover out who will really do your procedure, then ask about that medical professional's certifications (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Pick a doctor who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a doctor doesn't know can injure you.
Ask for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your physician won't tell you, find another one.
5. Ask what measures are required to avoid infection. Try to find advice a center with a dust-free or sterile operating room. Make certain that disposable parts are not recycled. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount rate parachute. The possible savings are unworthy the danger of getting less than professional care!
Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, however do not anticipate to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as individual as each patient. Be careful of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not buying a automobile; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely offer better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting till the new lenses are offered. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, do not lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a life time of helpful site bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the eyesight of countless individuals around the globe.